Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Researching how to stabilize underwater video and photos

 

I continue to marvel at the amazing underwater videos and photographs made by professional and amateur scuba divers.

As I think about the upcoming dive season, I am already planning new approaches I want to take to document my oceanic adventures.
One thing I'm particularly interested in is how to stabilize my videos so they flow and are not choppy.

For Christmas I received a tripod to stabilize my camera for night shots on land. Lee made a joke in passing and asked me how I planned on getting it to the ocean floor when we go diving.


His wit made me wonder how professionals such as Howard Hall create such smooth, flowing underwater video footage. I'm not sure if Howard uses an underwater tripod, but I have learned that they do indeed exist.


Right now, I'm sold on Joby's GorillaPod Focus. The reviews are pretty solid. I have a lot more research to do but I know I'm moving in the direction of an underwater tripod.


 

Any thoughts and recommendations? I'd love to hear from my fellow divers.

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Lee said...

Killer material......absolutely love it